Can my office building neighbors build a second story blocking windows needed as a fire escape?

Asked about 1 year ago - La Jolla, CA

The new neighbors of the building next door want to build a second story blocking my apartments windows listed as a fire escape, if they do so I will have to do some major construction to create another exit. Should I fight them in court or is it not worth the effort?

1. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . Contact the city. I doubt the city would allow it if it violated some fire codes or interfered with your rights.

2. David Herman Hirsch

Answered . Check on the status of the project and whether it needs some kind of discretionary approval from the city such as a conditional use permit, minor use permit, etc. If so, find out how you can participate in the process to object to the design based on your concerns. Also, check with the Building Department with regard to the issue you are concerned about and the fire and building codes adopted for your jurisdiction...

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now