Can my office building neighbors build a second story blocking windows needed as a fire escape?

La Jolla, CA |

The new neighbors of the building next door want to build a second story blocking my apartments windows listed as a fire escape, if they do so I will have to do some major construction to create another exit. Should I fight them in court or is it not worth the effort?

Contact the city. I doubt the city would allow it if it violated some fire codes or interfered with your rights.

the city says they are within their rights. The windows were marked in the plans as existing but the city pulled out some pictures of the building without them

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

With that, I would say that fighting this might be a waste of time and resources.

Check on the status of the project and whether it needs some kind of discretionary approval from the city such as a conditional use permit, minor use permit, etc. If so, find out how you can participate in the process to object to the design based on your concerns. Also, check with the Building Department with regard to the issue you are concerned about and the fire and building codes adopted for your jurisdiction...

Recommended articles about Real estate