Can my newly husband legally take ownership in a car that is registered to my mother?

San Diego, CA |

I recently married this guy that was only out to use me. I have found out that he is trying to take over my car that is registerd in my mothers name. He has also stolen money, tv's, stereo system, inherited silver items that belongs to my mother. What do I need to do to stop this guy before he has stolen everything I own

Call the police

Thomas A. Schaeffer, Esq. Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216, San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 This posting is provided for "informational purposes" only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principals discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different States.

I already did, police said that since I previously had given him permission to drive the car my only option was to send him a certified letter saying that he no longer has permission to use the vehicle and he needs to notify me where I can pick up my car... regarding the stolen items I was told that there is not much they can do since we are married

Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

Thomas Anthony Schaeffer

Ok. Here is what is happening. The police either lazy or, most likely, too busy. Although they may believe you, they don't think that your complaints are worthy of their time and attention. Spouses can be, and often are, arrested and prosecuted for crimes against the other spouse. The theft of the car takes place at the moment he exceeded your permission to use the vehicle, which is a felony, and taking the other items sounds like petty theft. This is in the realm of financial domestic abuse and should be taken very seriously by law enforcement. My recommendation is for you to call the police again and again until they take you seriously. If you get frustrated with the police, call the district attorney's office (there should be a domestic abuse department), your local council member, and/or the media to put pressure on the investigation. I hope this helps. Good luck

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Marriage and prenups