Can my new landlord start charging for a parking space?

San Francisco, CA |

My aunt and other tenants have been living in this building for more than 25 years and have always had a free parking spot now they want to charge $250 for a parking space. Most people of the older tenants don't pay more than $800 for rent and the original leases are lost. The new tenants are rating up to $1250

1. Probably. I assume you are under San Francisco Rent Control, so the amount being charged would have to comply with the rent control limitations. Generally speaking, however, a landlord can change the terms of tenancy by giving a 30 day notice of change in terms.

Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

2. Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

If your lease/rental agreement does not cover parking space, your landlord can make a separate charge for the parking.