Can my new landlord start charging for a parking space?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Francisco, CA

My aunt and other tenants have been living in this building for more than 25 years and have always had a free parking spot now they want to charge $250 for a parking space. Most people of the older tenants don't pay more than $800 for rent and the original leases are lost. The new tenants are rating up to $1250

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

3

Answered . Probably. I assume you are under San Francisco Rent Control, so the amount being charged would have to comply with the rent control limitations. Generally speaking, however, a landlord can change the terms of tenancy by giving a 30 day notice of change in terms.

2. Robin Mashal

3

Answered . Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

If your lease/rental agreement does not cover parking space, your landlord can make a separate charge for the parking.