Can my new landlord 10/1/13 terminate my tenancy and not renew my lease and give me 30 days notice.nyc.

Brooklyn, NY |

I have been living here 10 years since my dad was here and took over the apt payment for a full year.my landlord sold the building September 2013 and now the new landlord took over yesterday and left the termination notice that was writing and signed by their office ...what can I do

1. Dear Brooklyn Tenant;

When did the lease expire? Is the apartment Rent Stabilized?

If Rent Stabilized an owner may refuse to renew the lease only on certain grounds and must serve the notice that the lease is not renewed not less than 90 days before the lease expires and not more than 150 days before the lease expires. The landlord may serve a further 30 day notice before commencing the lawsuit as long as no rent was paid from the expiration of the lease to the service of the termination notice.

If the apartment is not Rent Stabilized and the lease expired, the tenancy is month to month. In New York City, a month to month tenancy may be terminated with a properly written and served thirty day termination of tenancy.

Since you have written papers and a back story it makes sense to visit an attorney for a consultation.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should try to avoid a bad outcome if you can.

2. Yes assuming your apartment is not regulated.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.