Can my new landlord 10/1/13 terminate my tenancy and not renew my lease and give me 30 days notice.nyc.

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I have been living here 10 years since my dad was here and took over the apt payment for a full year.my landlord sold the building September 2013 and now the new landlord took over yesterday and left the termination notice that was writing and signed by their office ...what can I do

1. Steven Warren Smollens

Answered . Dear Brooklyn Tenant;

When did the lease expire? Is the apartment Rent Stabilized?

If Rent Stabilized an owner may refuse to renew the lease only on certain grounds and must serve the notice that the lease is not renewed not less than 90 days before the lease expires and not more than 150 days before the lease expires. The landlord may serve a further 30 day notice before commencing the lawsuit as long as no rent was paid from the expiration of the lease to the service of the termination notice.

If the apartment is not Rent Stabilized and the lease expired, the tenancy is month to month. In New York City, a month to month tenancy may be terminated with a properly written and served thirty day termination of tenancy.

Since you have written papers and a back story it makes sense to visit an attorney for a consultation.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . Yes assuming your apartment is not regulated.