Can my new husband legally adopt my children?

Revere, MA |

I have sole legal/sole physical custody of my children. My ex husband has visitation. I have a lifetime restraining order against my ex. I am getting married next October and my new husband wants to adopt my children. Is this possible?

A precondition to your adoption will have to be the termination of the parental rights of your ex husband. With the information you have disclosed, it is not possible to assess the likelihood of termination. Courts tend to be protective the the right of a parent to continue a relationship with a child when the parent has made a reasonable effort to establish and nurture that relatioship. Nothing short of a detailed case review by an experienced local family law practitioner will meet your needs.

Best wishes for an outcome that serves the best interests of your children, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

Yes. But it requires permission of the other parent.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Your new husband cannot adopt the children while your ex is still their legal parent. You will need his permission, or will need to seek to terminate his parental rights.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.