Can my neighbor park his boat for two/three days on the easement in front of my house; I live on a private road.

His parents are the owner of said property. I asked him nicely to move it, but he resists. Other owners, including myself, have a hard time "squeezing our vehicles" in to go to our homes. He not only has a speed boat, but hooked onto his truck which is also blocking my mailbox. Postal Service states they have to catch him in the act. He parks after the mail is delivered on Saturday. We live in the county.

El Cajon, CA -

Joseph Clark Melino

Joseph Clark Melino

Real Estate Attorney - San Jose, CA

While this person seems to be acting under permissions of the neighbor, he has no right to block the easement. If there are other owners who are blocked, the group of you can bring an action for interference with the easement.
It may be that your local community has a mediation service. El Cajon or the County of San Diego. That might be less expensive than bringing the required action to enjoin the defendant from parking his boat on the easement.
Seek out an experienced real estate lawyer in your area, and have them examine your option in San Diego County.
Joseph C. Melino
Melino Law
San Jose, CA

Michael T Millar

Michael T Millar

Real Estate Attorney - Toms River, NJ

A property owner may not block access to an easement area.

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Real Estate Attorney - Montclair, CA

This could be a county violation also. Check with the building department or code enforcement office.

Michelle A. Perfili

Michelle A. Perfili

Real Estate Attorney - Lakeside, CA

I agree with all counsel above and would add that not only is his blocking the easement a violation of all of your mutual and "non exclusive" rights, this behavior may constitue an actionable "nuisance claim". Is there a recorded easement agreement? There may be more rights...and potential remedies...than mentioned above. There may also be violations of local ordinances due to, for example, interference with emergency acess. You may wish to explore a free or limited consultation to flesh out more details. Good luck.

Related Advice

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.