Skip to main content

Can my naturalization case be reopened if do not attend my oath ceremony?

Flushing, NY |

I passed my interview yesterday and is scheduled for oath ceremony next week. However, I am thinking about not going because if I do go, I would have a new name and a US passport. I am traveling abroad for school in January and already gave my school my non US passport to apply for visa. If I go through with the oath ceremony, I will not have enough time to apply for visa with my US passport. My school said I could travel with both passports, the US passport and the passport with the visa stamp. However this is a problem because of my name change. I asked the officer at my interview if I could not change my name because of this reason, but she said it was fine as long as I present proof of name change while I travel. However, I feel like this is a big risk and do not want any problems.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You should be fine as long as you bring proof of identity. It is not a big risk.

    If you miss your ceremony you will have to try to get it rescheduled. If you're going to be gone a long time I'm not sure how easy that is.

    My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action.

  2. You have to listen to the Immigration Officer. Your new Certificate of Naturalization, with a second sheet attached to it, which shows your name change is a legal document, and with your passport, carry the same legal proof that this is the same person. So there is nothing to worry about, as long as you have the original Certificate of Naturalization with you when you travel.

    Contact attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

  3. Go to your oath ceremony, travel with both passports. Not sure where you are from, but having a U.S. passport is a good thing. Missing an oath ceremony or rescheduling is not. Until you are sworn in under oath you are not a U.S. citizen.

    You can get a U.S. passport quite quickly, and most countries have consulates in New York City.

    Nevertheless, I would suggest traveling with both passports, you can have dual citizenship (usually, depending on the other country's rules) and you can travel under your foreign passport alone if you wish.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics