Skip to main content

Can my mother who is a permanent U.S citizen apply for my green card?

Virginia Beach, VA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

Currently I am 19 years of age and unmarried? How long will it take for me to get the green card once my mother who is a permanent us citizen has applied for it. And secondly preference is given to unmarried and less than 21years of age son. It refers to the age of the son at the time of petition is filled? For example if I am 20 years of age can my mother apply so that I get preference number 1 that is unmarried and below 21 years of age. Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Yes, your mother can sponsor you. It currently takes a little over a year. If your mother sponsors you now, and you turn 21 during the USCIS processing, you may still qualify under Child Status Protection Act (CSPA). There is also a chance that you were eligible for the green card when your mother got it. To ensure that you qualify, to ensure that everything is done correctly and timely, you and your mom need to consult with a lawyer as soon as possible. Good luck!

Ismail T. Shahtakhtinski, Esq.
I.S. Law Firm, PLLC
1199 N Fairfax Street, Suite 702
Alexandria, VA 22314
(703) 527-1779

The information provided in this answer is designed to provide useful information and background materials about I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. The information provided is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC. Any communication, including electronic mail, through this website may not be confidential or privileged. For legal advice, you should consult with an attorney familiar with your circumstances and seek the advice of counsel in the appropriate jurisdiction. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based upon written descriptions of I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC’s experience. Every case is different and similar results may not be obtained in your case. I.S. LAW FIRM, PLLC does not endorse or sponsor any links from this website to other websites and has not reviewed and does not accept responsibility for their contents.


That category depends on whether your mother is a citizen or permanent resident. It also depends on whether you are here in the USA or abroad and if here in which status. F2A category, BTW, is now current which means you are ready to go if your mother is an LPR. IF she is a citizen you had been ready to go since she became one. Ask her to talk to an immigration lawyer immediately.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


The timing depends a little on where you reside and which district office will handle your case. If you are under the age of 21 when the application is filed and hopefully adjudicated, you should fall under the immediate relative category. You should seek experienced counsel to make sure this is all done properly and timely.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer