Skip to main content

Can my mother take custody.if.I'm.given temporary custody of nieces already?

San Antonio, TX |

My sister and I have a notarized temporary custody nieces where she left me with custody of my nieces. I am financially supporting my nieces without any assistance frm both my sister or nieces' father. My mother has been saying rumors on how I can't take care of nieces because she wants custody of them. Can she be granted custody if I have notarized letter stating Iwas granted temporary custody and also have a school power of attorney letter notarized and signed by my sister?

Attorney Answers 2


Only a court can officially change the custody of your nieces. If you are concerned about your mother's actions, you should consult with a family law attorney to assist you in getting named their legal guardian.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If the children have been left with you then you can petition the court for custody. Your mother likely doesn't have standing to file suit. Beware she may elicit the help to CPS to get temporary custody. I'd speak to an attorney if you're truly concerned.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics