Can my mother stop me from moving out on my 18th birthday if I'm still a student in high school in Spokane WA?

Asked about 1 year ago - Spokane, WA

There was a nasty divorce between her and my biological father but she won custody of me. He is supposed to be paying child support but doesn't and I want to move out when I turn 18 and start living my life finally, but she keeps saying that I cannot legally leave while I'm still in high school. Is she right or can I say goodbye and walk? Thanks for your time.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . In WA, a person becomes a legal adult at age 18 unless the person has been found by the court to be incompetent.

    So, you can leave on your 18th birthday. While you are legally subject to your mother's control while you are under 18, as a practical matter, the police likely is not going to do anything about an older teen running away if the teen voluntarily leaves and does not appear to be in any immediate danger (such as being prostituted, drugged, etc.).

    However, before you start running away, have you thought about practical things such as where will you be living? how will you pay rent? where's the money to buy food?

  2. Mary Katherine Brown


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You can leave when you turn 18 if that is your wish.

    Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@... more

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,195 answers this week

3,332 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,195 answers this week

3,332 attorneys answering