Can my mother charge me with elder abuse?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tellico Plains, TN

I have been living with my mom helping take care of her for almost a year now even though she mentally abuses me and i have delt with it but now i can't take it anymore. She is able to do stuff for herself it just takes a little longer than usual. I have 3 other siblings and they don't help. I told her i needed a break for a couple of days and now she is telling everyone that she is going to charge me with elder abuse. Can she really do that? Do i have to be scared that if i visit friends she can put me in jail?

1. Sean Michael Patrick

5

1

Answered . The way the process would work is that she would (or someone on her behalf) would contact the appropriate authorities, an investigation would be undertaken, and then the case would be reviewed by the District Attorney to determine if the facts arose to the level of abuse. Based on the facts outlined above, I think it would be unlikely that you would be charged. That is based on the understanding that your mother could without assistance obtain all of the necessaries of life (food, clothing, shelter etc. etc.) If you are concerned, or contacted by the authorities, contact an attorney in your area for a consultation. There are many here on Avvo that would be more than happy to discuss this matter with you . Best of luck.

Pro

4

1

Answered . She doesn't sound too grateful now does she? It is highly unlikely you will be charged, however, in the unlikely event, you can simply retain a local criminal lawyer to defend.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. David J. McCormick

3

Answered . It seems like mom really does not want to be left alone, or is scared that you will not come back. You should contact a local elderly outreach organization since many offer respite care where someone comes into the home and car for mom to give family members a break.

Bottom line you need to have a talk with the other family members and tell them that you are not going to be the only one doing this anymore since you mentally can’t handle it. If they are unwilling to help then tell them someone has to be hired to look after mom since you are through.

Good luck

4. Kenneth Lee LaBore

Pro

1

Answered . As the other attorneys suggested you would have to place your mother at risk to be open to any potential charges. I would arrange for temporary home health care services to avoid any risk you either yourself and to help your mother when you are not able.

5. Michael A Ferrara Jr

Pro

Answered . Being a caretaker is a demanding job. You need a break. She can call the police and charge you with anything. Document every single thing in case this happens. Be proactive and call the police in your town and explain the situation in advance. Good luck