Can my mom who is a U.S. citizen petition for a green card for her mom (my grandmother) while I financially sponsor my grandma?

Butler, PA |

My mother is a U.S. citizen and would like to petition for a green card for her mom (my grandmother). My mom has 0.00 income and my husband and I support her 100% financially. We would like to sponsor my grandmother as well. Is my mom able to petition for a green card for my grandmother while I sponsor her instead of my mom?

1. Yes.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, you mom can petition for her mom. Insufficiency of income is one thing, filing income tax returns is another. If you support her 100% then she must be included in your tax return as a dependent in which case she meets the requirement. Of course, you and your husband can be co-sponsors.

4. Yes, you can do an I-864 ... In ADDITION to the one your mother must file.

Thus, NO, you can not file INSTEAD of your mother.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

5. This is how it works. Your mom (Citizen) will sponsor (file a I130 petition) for her mom. Once the petition is approved, she needs to provide Affidavit of support (financial document). There is certain income requirement to file the affidavit of support if your mom does not make that much then you can join as a co-sponsor.
    So, your mom will be the sponsor and you can join as a joint sponsor(for financial purpose).
    Discuss with an immigration attorney the detail of the income requirement considering your family size and other important matter. Good luck.

6. You may not petition for your grandmother. You can, however, file an I-864 as a joint sponsor in addition to the one your mother must file. Also be sure to review the income guidelines (linked below).

The posting above is for informational purposes only.

7. You mother will still have to file an affidavit of support because she is the petitioner. You will also sponsor your grandmother in order to meet the income requirements.