Can my mom who is a U.S. citizen petition for a green card for her mom (my grandmother) while I financially sponsor my grandma?

Asked 11 months ago - Butler, PA

My mother is a U.S. citizen and would like to petition for a green card for her mom (my grandmother). My mom has 0.00 income and my husband and I support her 100% financially. We would like to sponsor my grandmother as well. Is my mom able to petition for a green card for my grandmother while I sponsor her instead of my mom?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Yes.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

Answered . Yes.

3. Boris Alexander Palant

2

Answered . Yes, you mom can petition for her mom. Insufficiency of income is one thing, filing income tax returns is another. If you support her 100% then she must be included in your tax return as a dependent in which case she meets the requirement. Of course, you and your husband can be co-sponsors.

4. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Yes, you can do an I-864 ... In ADDITION to the one your mother must file.

Thus, NO, you can not file INSTEAD of your mother.

5. Bandita Sharma-Dahal

1

Answered . This is how it works. Your mom (Citizen) will sponsor (file a I130 petition) for her mom. Once the petition is approved, she needs to provide Affidavit of support (financial document). There is certain income requirement to file the affidavit of support if your mom does not make that much then you can join as a co-sponsor.
    So, your mom will be the sponsor and you can join as a joint sponsor(for financial purpose).
    Discuss with an immigration attorney the detail of the income requirement considering your family size and other important matter. Good luck.

6. Louis Felix Massard

1

Answered . You may not petition for your grandmother. You can, however, file an I-864 as a joint sponsor in addition to the one your mother must file. Also be sure to review the income guidelines (linked below).

The posting above is for informational purposes only.
  7. Scott Thomas Helsper

Pro

Answered . You mother will still have to file an affidavit of support because she is the petitioner. You will also sponsor your grandmother in order to meet the income requirements.