Can my mom still file a CHINS Petition on me if I am 17 years old?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chelsea, MA

In september my mom filed a CHINS petition on me for not following rules. A stuborn chins. The 6 months ended last month and she keeps forgetting to go back to court to file a new one, i will be 17 friday. Once i turn 17 can she still file a CHINS on me?

1. Michael L Rich

4

Answered . CHINS no longer exists. There is a new law that is supposed to eliminate the stigma of being a "CHINS kid" and actually provide services that the system believes you need. The new law, called Child Requiring Assistance (CRA) for now, actually extends court jurisdiction to age 18, so yes.

But even saying that, the ending of "the 6 months" may not mean that your old CHINS case has gone away. It may have been converted to a CRA case. You should contact your court appointed attorney about whether your case was dismissed or if you still have some obligations under it.