Can my Mexican husband get a working permit in Texas?

Edinburg, TX |

He entered the us illegal when he was 11 and now 27. He did get caught twice when he was crossing and they took his finger prints. Will that effect him? We have been together for 8yrs and married for 4 yrs and have 3 children. We wanted to know if its possible for him to get a working permit or if he needs to go back to Mexico in order to fix. He is a very good working man but the only thing is that he has no permit and we are scared border patrol will take him one day and leaving me and my kids alone PLEASE HELP

No, your husband cannot get any work permits in Texas or elsewhere as it stands now. You can sponsor him for green card if you are a US citizen, but he will need a waiver. Those are not easily granted. Schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer to learn the process and see whether or not it's worthwhile trying now.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Yes i am a us citizens

A bit more information is needed but he might be eligible for a work permit under DACA. I highly recommend scheduling a private consultation with an experienced immigration attorney. Many here on avvo, including me, offer free consultations by phone or Skype. Good luck!

He did not attend school just one year when he got here. And i am a us citizen

Mark Robert Barr

Mark Robert Barr

Assuming he meets all the other criteria for DACA, he could satisfy the educational requirement by enrolling in and attending a GED program.

Texas does not offer work permits. Work authorization in the USA can only be issued by the Federal Government.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

For the work permit, look into the Deferred Action program for Childhood Arrivals, as my colleague suggested. You mentioned that he didn't finish school here in the U.S. However, he can still satisfy the educational requirement for DACA by enrolling now in a GED program.

Longer term, you want to look into the possibility of him obtaining residency based on his marriage to you. Whether he's eligible to do that here in the U.S., or whether he will need to apply for a waiver and process his visa from abroad, or whether he is barred completely from obtaining a marriage-based residency will depend on a host of factors, including the nature and timing of his entries and attempted entries and his criminal history, as well as other issues.