Can my manager at work pat me down or search my bag without consent?

Albuquerque, NM |

My boss has accused me of having a cell phone on me. My cell phone was already turned in to my employer at the beginning of my shift . My employer then stated for me to open my bag (which i did) then she started to pat me down looking for a phone that was not on my person as she was accusing me. I did not give any consent to a search me or my property.

1. For a constitutional right such as protection against illegal search and seizures the government must have been involved. This was done by a private person so you have no constitutional claim. You might have a tort claim against your boss but it sounds like you consented to the pat down.

Because I was recently congratulated by an Avvo questioner for having the courage not to use a disclaimer, let me make it clear that I have always answered questions subject to the Avvo general disclaimer. The answers I give are for educational purposes and not to be relied upon for legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended or established by virtue of these answers.

2. She can and she did. Either accept it or find a new job.

Please do not confuse the casual and impersonal exchange in this or any legal chat room with entering into an attorney-client relationship. If your situation warrants formal legal assistance, you should begin the process of hiring Mr. Aarons at info@aarons.org or another lawyer to consider all of the relevant facts and law in your case.