Can my license be suspended for a paid ticket older than two years?

Orlando, FL |

I recently received notice from the state of florida that my license will be suspended due to 12 points in 12 months however the tickets listed are two years old. the dmv advised that orange county just sent them the ticket info from a ticket dated jan 2010. is there anything I can do to change this?

I am very familiar with the situation with Orange County and their delay in reporting dispositions from 2010. Even though you paid the ticket, the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles never received the end result from the Orange County Clerk's office. Your only hope in trying to alleviate the point suspension is to go back and reopen one of the citations. There may be some other ways to avoid the suspension in dealing with the DHSMV directly in Tallahassee. They may require you to complete a long term 12 hour advanced driver improvement school too.

This is not intended to be an attorney-client relationship and is my opinion only. Consult with a local attorney for additional advice.

they are requiring me to take the course, surrender my license and apply for a hardship license if this action will result in hardship which it would as I need my license to drive to work. so besides the fact that I paid the ticket I now have to pay for the hardship license, pay for the driving course and then pay to have my license reinstated at the end of the suspension. how do I reopen a citation and then what good would that do?

David Ashley Haenel

David Ashley Haenel

If you reopen the case and the Judge modifies the disposition to reflect no conviction, or a withhold of adjudication, then your suspension goes away.

thank you David! I am not sure of the cost to do this or the consequences if I lose, they are probably banking on that so I don't try to fight it. do you offer free consults in your office so that I could discuss this in detail to see what chance I have at fighting this?

David Ashley Haenel

David Ashley Haenel

I would be more than happy to discuss the situation with you. Please call me in the office 407-472-1912.

There may be little you can do, but I agree with counsel that asking Orange county to amend one of the charges, it may help. Talk to an Orlando area attorney.

Thank you Mr. Epifanio

This is certainly a wicked situation for you. One attorney seems to know all about the problem, and perhaps he is the local one you want to hire to help you out of this predicament. Good luck to you.

Thank you Mr. De Groot!

Traffic tickets topics