Skip to main content

Can my lawyer still negotiate a better deal for me after the pre trial hearing and before or during the pre trial bring back?

Philadelphia, PA |

My private lawyer was not paid in time to go to the pre trial hearing and I ended up with a public defender who doesn't seem to care. Can my private attorney still negotiate a better deal for me before or during the pre trial bring back?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    It sounds as if this is a SMART Room offer. In Philadelphia, the DA's office has been giving early offers that they hold out as the best offer that they will provide. It often depends upon the case whether the offers will get better or worse. If they feel that they have a strong case and start preparing for trial, they may no longer wish to provide that same offer as they have put more work into it. If there are large holes in the case, the offer may get better.

    Michael L. Doyle

    This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.

  2. Yes! Pay your lawyer!

    Specific legal advice can only be given with full knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your situation. Posting a question on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship. All questions you post will be available to the public; do not include confidential information in your question. If you would like to consult with me privately, you may do so by telephone at 215-423-5500.

  3. Your attorney can continue to negotiate throughout the process. Call your attorney and discuss the issues. Good luck.

  4. Absolutely, as my colleagues have said, your lawyer can negotiate a deal throughout the process. However, keep in mind depending on the county there are certain stages of the process were you will get your best deal. For example, at the formal arraignment.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics