Can my lawyer put my divorce on hold till the bill is paid?

Asked almost 2 years ago - York, PA

In PA

1. Jeanne B. Costopoulos

6

Answered . In most instances, your fee agreement will state the responsibilities of the attorney in the event of non-payment. Typically, the attorney does not need to act, unless payment has been made. However, the attorney must attend scheduled court appearances unless he or she has been granted leave to withdraw from your case.

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

2

Answered . Your retainer agreement governs the contractual relationship between you and your attorney.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

1

Answered . Would you want an attorney to represent you who has not been paid? Also, how happy do you thiink the lawyer will be to go to court without being paid? I think these are the real questions. Have a discussion with your lawyer to work things out or consider a new lawyer.