Can my lawyer change a pending Chapter 7 to a Chapter 13 as a response to a creditor contestment?

Asked about 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I have a Chapter 7 case with a contesting creditor who has requested an adversary proceeding for intentional property damage.I receive a letter stating chapter 13 and motion to withdraw document from my lawyer.Does this mean that my lawyer has changed my chapter 7 into a chapter 13 because a creditor is demanding immunity from my original chapter 7 bankruptcy? Is this legal for my lawyer to do without my permission? I PAID for a Chapter 7.

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Although it is possible in theory your lawyer could do this, it would be unethical for him/her to do so without your consent. Not to say that doing this may be in your best interests as a way to fully resolve the adversary proceeding. But it is more likely that whoever prepared the paper you received made a typo..that happens much more often. You can look at the court records on Pacer 24/7 if you are willing to pay a buck or so to view your file. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Scott Benjamin Riddle

3

Answered . Sorry, but like the question you just asked you are asking for guesses as to what documents and letters say, what they mean and what your lawyer is doing when we don't have the documents or know what is going on in the case. The documents certainly say much more than you stated. You are going to either have to get comfortable with your lawyer or get a new one.

3. David Jay Sternberg

4

1

Answered . Your statement of facts is confused. An attorney cannot change a Chapter 7 to a 13 without your permission. You should consult with your attorney and if you don't feel comfortable with your attorney then fire him or her and get another one.

4. Christopher Daniel Leroi

2

Answered . You need to have a sit down conversation with your attorney.