Can my landlord tell me who can and cannot come to my house because a naighbor does not like them and threaten to evict me?

Asked almost 4 years ago - West Seneca, NY

i have been living in my apartment for 4 months never late on rent nor had any problems a naighbor has a problem with my boyfrind the father of my kids who comes to my house to watch our kids she said he cannot be at my house because the naighbor doesnt like him he has never done anything to the naighbors or my landlord she said if he does come to my house she will evict me

1. Liam Gorman Brenndon Murphy

Answered . It depends on your lease. Some leases do include a clause that might generally include "disreputable people." Most courts do not enforce such clauses, however, because they are very hard to interpret. They are also hard to enforce because leases require the landlord to give you "quiet enjoyment" of your space, which includes the right to invite whom you wish (as long as they do nothing that disturbs the neighbors).

If you don't have a written lease, you have a problem. In that situation, you have a "month-to-month" tenancy and the landlord can terminate the tenancy on 30 days' notice just because the landlord wants to do so.

The lesson: always get a written lease.

Disclaimer: We are providing this general reaction to your question for discussion and informational purposes only. This answer is not intended to be legal advice and providing this answer or your reading it does not create a lawyer-client relationship: we create such relationships only when there is signed a retainer agreement with this Firm.