Can my landlord tell me i can't use the attic as a bedroom

Wilkes Barre, PA |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant law

It is up to code for a bedroom

1. If your lease agreement states that the attic cannot be used as a bedroom - yes.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.

2. Although, I agree with my colleague, if however, there is no mention in the lease of the attic and you are not prohibited from accessing that area, there is no reason you should not be able to use the attic. Double check all fine print in the lease. In most instances it is easier to get forgiveness than permission. But if you have received any written or even verbal prohibitions from your landlord not to use the attic then don't use the attic!

3. I agree with the responding attorneys. You need to read the lease agreement.

Landlord-tenant law topics