Can my landlord still sue for court costs and lawyer fees after I paid my rent?

Philadelphia, PA |
Filed under: Landlord-tenant

Rent is due on the 1st, by the 5th (the latest). I paid my rent along with the late fee by the 26th. I received court papers my apartment complex is suing me for attorney's fees and court fees along with the rent I already paid. Can they sue me before the month is over? Also can they still sue me for court costs and attorney's fees after I paid my rent?

Please consult with a local attorney for a review of the lease and your associated rights.

This answer is for informational purposes only and does not in anyway constitute and/or form an attorney-client relationship.

It would be important to review your lease as well as the timing of the lawsuit and your payment

Contact me for further detailed questions and answers. 215-561-0877 DISCLAIMER: Matthew Solomon is licensed to practice law in both the State of Pennsylvania and the State of New Jersey.This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. This answer does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

If a careful reading of the lease doesn't answer your questions, you consult with a local attorney who is well versed in Landlord Tenant laws and how they are implemented in Philadelphia.

If you liked my answer, please rate it "HELPFUL" or "BEST". Also, you can contact me for further detailed questions and answers at 412-904-5305. **DISCLAIMER** Michael I. Werner is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. This answer is based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. This answer does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with an attorney prior to taking legal actions on your own.

It depends on what is stated in your lease. You should consult with a Landlord-Tenant attorney to evaluate your possible defenses. My office offers a free consultation, and affordable representation in LT matter such as this in Philadelphia.

267-535-9776 - Ask for Mark Copoulos.

Landlord-tenant topics