Can my landlord put a lock box on the door and allow real estate agents to show the house ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Denver, CO

I have 5 months left on my lease, and have never paid late. The rental agreement says the landlord can enter at all reasonable times and on reasonable days to show prospective buyers, tenants, to inspect the property, etc. The landlord lives out of state. I'm not sure if it says the landlord must give notice to me or not. Can the landlord force me to let real estate agents in when ever they want to show it? Am I required to keep the house clean, in show condition, etc (I don't think there is anything in the rental agreement about that)? Is there a state law that trumps the rental agreement in this case? Thank you.

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

2

Answered . If the landlord is allowed to enter to show the property, this will probably extend to the landlord's agents as well. Your rental agreement controls. You need to read the agreement to determine the extent of your rights and obligations.

2. Donald Corky Eby

Pro

Answered . The language in your rental agreement will control, there is no law that trumps the agreement, unless the agreement is illegal etc.
    If the agreement says that the landlord can enter that will allow his agent, the REALTOR, to enter under the same conditions.
    "Reasonable time and days" does not include placing a lockbox on your door for access at will. You pay rent for the right of exclusive possession of the property, so the landlord nor his agent may enter your property without proper notice as described in your lease. Additionally, showing your home to perspective tenants 5 months prior to the end of your lease is not reasonable.

If you cannot make the landlord listen to your demands I recommend consulting an attorney for assistance.