Can my landlord make me move out if he wants to sell the duplex I live in?

Asked over 1 year ago - Sheboygan, WI

My boyfriend never signed a lease with our landlord, and after I moved in there was no mention of doing so either. For the past couple weeks the landlord has been asking us to buy the place, and after us saying no multiple times, he said he was going to sell the place and we need to move. Can he kick us out?

1. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, but only upon proper written notice.
    No lease means you are in a month-to-month tenancy which can be terminated by either side for no reason.

See links below.

2. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

1

Answered . Without a written lease, then you are a "periodic" or "at will" tenant. If you are paying rent by the month, then you are a month to month tenant. The general rule for these types of tenancies is that 28 days written notice is required to terminate the tenancy by either party, however, the specific rules regarding termination of periodic tenancies and tenancies at will are explained in Section 704.19 Wisconsin Statutes.

In simple terms...in a month to month tenancy either party can terminate the lease at any time provided proper notice is given. So, if your landlord provides proper notice to terminate, then he is within his rights to do so.