Can my landlord let me live without working electric?

Asked about 1 year ago - Lakeland, FL

My landlord has had 5 days now to send out an electrician to my house for bad breaker system. I cant do my laundry or cook without the power going out. I have two babies and no one has fixed it. I cant use my oven because I dont know how to go in to the wiring they have set up.

1. Jimmy Allen Davis

3

Answered . Generally no. But you are under the duty to place the landlord on notice about the electricity. The law generally does not recognize verbal notice (because in court he/she could deny it) so you will want to write a letter and have it sent to him certified (return receipt) informing him of the situation.

Not having electricity is a major concern. If you give him 7 days notice to cure the problem or you will move out, the law will generally support you. Similarly, this is an aggravating enough situation that you could also send him notice that you intent to withhold rent until the problem is fixed.

Be careful when you implement these rights. If you do this incorrectly you may find yourself on the receiving end of an eviction notice. I highly recommend you contact a landlord / tenant attorney to help you through the process.

Best of luck to you.

2. Ryan Sanford Grazi

Answered . I agree with the previous answer, I'm just writing to stress the importance of sending the notice to the landlord in writing.