Can my landlord kick me out?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I gave my notice to vacate to my landlord saying that he owed me money for 2 months worth of repair, and at the end of the 2 months I would leave, but decided I want to stay and sent him a letter withdrawaling it. Now he is threating that at the end of my notice to lock me out. Can he legally do this without an eviction?

1. Robin Mashal

Answered . Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

I am not familiar with any notice by a tenant to a landlord for payment of repair costs. If your landlord truly owed you repair charges and would not voluntarily pay them, you can sue the landlord. As to your question, if you have a long term lease, then the lease cannot be terminated early unless there is good cause. If you are on a month-to-month rental arrangement, then barring any rent control ordinances, either side can give 30 day/60 day notice to terminate. If landlord gives you proper notice to vacate, landlord can bring an unlawful detainer action and obtain court order to evict you. Be sure to consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.