Can my landlord just not renew my lease.

Asked over 2 years ago - Dover, NJ

1. Benjamin G Kelsen

Answered . There are certain times when a landlord can decline to offer a new lease. A very good resource for learning more about this is the NJ Legal Services Landlord/Tenant handbook which can be found online. Without knowing more about your specific case ii cannot answer your question accurately at this time.

2. Matthew R Schutz

Answered . In NJ the lease is renewable automatically. The terms would be the same, unless the LL gives appropriate notice or the lease indicates some change, for example converting the tenancy from a year to year to a month to month. The LL can increase the rent but such changes must conform to local law and be reasonable. The rent increase needs to give you appropriate notice. The current lease should be reviewed, to determine what if any changes are provided for. If you wish a consult please call me 908 391 5399

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

Answered . The short answer is: yes. Depending on the terms of your written lease agreement, you're no more required to stay in a lease you don't like than a landlord is to rent to tenants he no longer desires to have in his property. Keep in mind, however, some leases contain automatic renewal provisions. Others require both landlords and/or tenants to give a certain amount of notice before exercising an option to terminate a lease.

Check your local laws or consult with a landlord tenant attorney for assistance.