Can my landlord go through my room/bathroom and my kids room without my permission?

Asked about 1 year ago - Clermont, FL

Onces a month, my landlord changes the filter to the ac/heater vents in the house. I had a feeling that while I wasn't home and my kids weren't home she'll go through the house and in the rooms. I pretended to not be home, and hid my car on my neighbors drive way and hid in my room. She was banging on the door and then put her key through and walked in. I saw her walking all over the house and her husband followed her. She then left and I got a call from section 8 stating that the home was destroyed which in her eyes she thinks that only because my sons toys were all over the place! Section 8 gave us a voucher for $975.00. My landlords rent was for $1,175. I told her that my voucher was less, and she said "I'll make a lease with the amount you was approved for and pay $210 on the side!

1. Leonard Peter Cabral

Answered . A landlord may only enter your rental dwelling with your permission or in the event of an emergency such as a fire or flood. A landlord must give you notice that they intend to enter your apartment at least 12 hours in advance. A landlord that is doing a repair in one room does not have a reason to inspect a different room unless the notice states that the landlord is doing an inspection in addition to the repair. You can also demad that you be home when they change the filters or do any repairs. You can not legally refuse to allow the landlord in but you can make reasonable demands, such as your presence during a repair, before you allow them in. If you do not give your permission, a landlord is committing a civil tresspass. Get a nanny cam and if the landlord goes through your drawers, cabinets etc without a legal reason, you can sue for invaided of privacy. As far as getting approved for $1,175 and paying $250 under the table, there are specific FEDERAL guidelines that forbid this practice. Make sure you get a reciept for your porton of the rent and get a reciept for the $250 under the table or pay with a money order that has a reciept. DO NOT PAY CASH without a reciept for "rent". You are legally responsible to pay the amount of rent that the lease requires you to pay. The landlord can not legally charge you more. The problem is that if you do not pay they will likely make other problems for you. Document everything. Seek help from Legal Services of Mid Florida. They handle public housing matters. You have more protections from the federal government so long as you stay current with your rent and report ALL your income and update all changes of income immeditally.