Can my landlord give my information to con ed (electric company) and open account for me without my consent?

Dobbs Ferry, NY |

ok, so here is my situation.. I leased an apartment for 1 year in Dobbs Ferry NY. the day I went to look at diff units I was told all utilities were included. then, the day I went back to sign the lease all these random 1 time fees came into play. I paid them because at the time I needed a place to live. months go by and everything is fine until 1 daya guy claiming he was from con ed knocks on my door and ask me who the bill goes to I said, "I don't know its included in the rent" he suggest that its not and blah blah. so I close the door and 1 month before my lease is over con ed is sending me all these bills! how did con ed get my information? I did not give it to them. so regaurdless of what my lease says the right thing to do would be cut off the power, not illegally open an account.

I'm not sure if I missed something between the random 1 time fees and the blah blah, but what does the lease actually say about electricity?

I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists. I earn my living collecting points for "helpful" answers.

the lease isn't with me now but tomorrow I will let you know but regardless of what my lease says it still cannot be okay for my landlord to give the electric company my name, ss#, and my phone number to them and create an account for me

Bring your lease to an attorney for review. What does it say about who is responsible for paying the electric? It may be buried in the lease someplace that you are responsible for electric and that the landlord had the right to establish the account. If the lease states that the landlord is supposed to supply electric then you may have a case against him.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

Landlord-tenant topics