Can my landlord get in trouble if I smoke pot on the premises?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Tempe, AZ

My parents own my house, but they do not live here. It is me and my roommate (she does not smoke, but instead drinks heavily under-age) My parents are okay with her drinking in the house, but not with me smoking; citing that they can be prosecuted for my possession on their property. Does this have legal support? Also, if they do, is it more than if my roommate were caught drinking?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, your parents can be prosecuted for knowingly allowing you to use a controlled
    substance on the premises. That is sometimes called criminal facilitation.

    It is not as likely that your parents would be arrested for underage drinking on the premises unless they actually furnish the minor the alcohol.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,178 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,178 answers this week

3,078 attorneys answering