Can my landlord evict me in the winter time?

Westbrook, ME |

Her and her husband along with a person who was going to buy her apartment building, decided to just walk in my house and come upstairs unanounced and without notice. We also have a payment plan for our rent and says that if we do not pay her in full by dec 31st she will evict us. I cannot afford this as i am a stay at home mom to a 4month old and my husband works at a school so he gets all that time off when the school is closed. what can i do?

For non payment of rent, the landlord may evict during any season, spring through winter.

Mr. Brinkmeier is correct. If you do not pay your rent, you can be evicted in any season or month of the year.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.

Although these attorneys are correct, there are some protections for tenants in Maine. They are summarized very well at Your landlord needs to give you notice, time to pay the rent, attend a court hearing of which you can participate, and try to mediate your dispute. This all takes a minimum of 30 days, and if you pay the rent during any of this, it prevents your eviction. This is regardless of what your lease says - it's required by law. Even if there's a new owner, even if there's no lease. Good luck.

Legal advice depends upon the particular facts of a given situation. Please use my answers as general information but not legal counsel.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant