Can my landlord evict me in 24 hours without going to court for being behind on my rent?

Asked about 4 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

I am behind by about three months and am on a payment plan to make up the arrearage. I was late by a day and given a demand letter to pay the full amount or to leave in twenty-four hours.

1. Ayuban Antonio Tomas

Pro

Answered . In Florida, there is no legal eviction process that provides only 24 hour notice.

THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

2. Lucreita D. Becude

Answered . No., your landlord must following the landlord tenant laws and must file an eviction. Only a Judge can isuse the eviction notice and then a sheriff can serve it.

3. Lynn Marie Salvatore

Answered . Florida law is quite clear on what a landlord must do to evict a tenant, whether it is for failure to pay rent or for other violations of a lease agreement. For example, a landlord is required to serve the tenant with a 3 day notice to pay rent before filing a lawsuit for eviction. The language in the 3 day notice to pay rent can be found in the Florida Statutes.