Can my landlord evict me if I place a small security camera inside my apartment window?

Filed under: Landlord-tenant law

I live in a small apartment complex and no manager lives on the premises. We have front and back gates, but some tenants jam them and leave them open for their friends to enter. For 3 months one of the tenant's was victimized by a "stalker". He vandalized her vehicle (badly) and law enforcement tried to help her and on three occasions when the cops came to meet with her, they walked right up to her apartment because the front gate was open. They advised her to move. This isn't the only time strangers walk into the apartment complex; sometimes they knock on doors. I've decided to install a security camera in my window. Can the landlord evict me for doing this. I'm a female and crime in the area has increased.

1. No, if it is not prohibited in your lease, and it is not a nuisance or dangerous, you may install a security camera in your window.

2. The Landlord may evict you for installing security camera in your window if the lease forbids installation of any devices on the wall or alteration/modification of the property. It is best to ask the Landlords permission to avoid any problems.

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Landlord-tenant law topics