Can my landlord change the locks for nonpayment of rent on the 11th of the month?

Asked over 2 years ago - Chesapeake, VA

I am a month to month tenant in Virginia. I have not paid my rent as of 6/9. my landlord came into my home when i was not there on 6/6 and left a 5 day pay or vacate notice inside my home. Today on 6/9 my landlord called me and said she is going to change the locks on 6/11. Can she do that?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Absolutely NOT.

    You must be evicted in accordance with Virginia's statues. Landlords cannot 'lock-out' a tenant if they do, they open themselves to liability in suit.

    Call police if LL attempts to change the locks. If she actually changes them while you are out or unaware, you may be physically barred from entry for a few days, until you can get a lawyer or the authorities to take steps to inform your LL that she is violating state law.

    A month-to-month situation allows that either the LL or the Tenant may terminate the relationships--but that requires 30 days’ notice. Failure to pay rent is grounds for eviction, and an efficient LL will begin the process the day after a payment is missed--you already received the Pay or Quit notice. If you fail to pay or quit, LL must then file an unlawful detainer (an eviction suit) in the local general district court. That process can take 4-8 weeks before the court issues a judgment.

    Recommend you pay the LL ASAP and smooth over your late payment issues prepared to find another lease agreement because if LL wants you out, you will be gone eventually.

    READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia.... more
  2. Adam Michael Carroll

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . NO. The landlord must follow VA law related to evicition of tenants. After the 5 day pay or quit notice has been sent, in order to retake the premises he must file an unlawful detainer. I agree with the lawyer who answered above; you should pay your rent as soon as possible and try to work something out with the LL.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,059 answers this week

3,172 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,059 answers this week

3,172 attorneys answering