Can my landlord change locks without court ordered eviction?

Asked about 2 years ago - Alexandria, LA

my rent was late for may. I did recieve a written eviction notice to pay or vacate in five days. i paid rent plus all late fees for may and a portion of junes rent. no evivtion notice was given this month but the landlord said he is going to change locks today, put my stuff outside and file legal eviction. can he do that ? what should i do when locksmith comes?

1. Bryan Grant Jeansonne

1

Answered . Your landlord cannot do this and will be liable for your damages if he does this. Only the City Constable or Sheriff can remove you from the property and only after an eviction hearing was held and an eviction judgment granted. You should tell the locksmith this and let him know that he can also be held liable for your damages for illegally changing the locks. If the landlord goes ahead and changes the locks and removes your belongings anyway then you should contact a lawyer and sue the landlord for damages.