Can my landlord change locks without court ordered eviction?

Alexandria, LA |

my rent was late for may. I did recieve a written eviction notice to pay or vacate in five days. i paid rent plus all late fees for may and a portion of junes rent. no evivtion notice was given this month but the landlord said he is going to change locks today, put my stuff outside and file legal eviction. can he do that ? what should i do when locksmith comes?

1. Your landlord cannot do this and will be liable for your damages if he does this. Only the City Constable or Sheriff can remove you from the property and only after an eviction hearing was held and an eviction judgment granted. You should tell the locksmith this and let him know that he can also be held liable for your damages for illegally changing the locks. If the landlord goes ahead and changes the locks and removes your belongings anyway then you should contact a lawyer and sue the landlord for damages.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create, an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Louisiana. Responses are based solely on Louisiana law unless stated otherwise