Skip to main content

Can my Insurance company sue me? I borrowed my friends truck for maybe 3 months and I put it on my policy.

Parrish, AL |

I put my friends truck on my policy while my car was in the shop. My car was in shop for like 2 months and I was driving my friends truck so I put it on my policy. I finally got me another car and gave my friend his truck back. Well he was invalid in an accident and I didn't know he was drinking and driving at the time but his truck was on my policy! Now the people that he hit is sueing my Insurance company! Can I get in trouble or be sued for this?

Attorney Answers 5


Simply turn the papers over to your insurance company to resolve.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


Kind of hard to say. Turn the case to your insurance company. The insurance may decide to settle the matter and be done with it and the worst it could happen is that they may cancel your insurance. That would be the best outcome. The one I am fearing is the case where, after an investigation is conducted and it is shown that you returned the car to your friend,without canceling the policy, the insurance may defend with a reservation of rights. However, in the end, you may be liable for whatever the payout might be. Someone else may think different. If that should occur, do not panic. Look at the amount and go see a consumer lawyer and get advice as to what to do next. Best of luck.

This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de accidentes y lesiones is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Turn the matter over to your insurance company and let them review the matter.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


This situation would be best handled by your insurance company. Provide them with all the paperwork and all the facts and allow them to review and handle the case.

Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


It seems that you did the responsible thing by adding this vehicle to your coverage. I do not know what you mean about your friend being "invalid in an accident".Turn the entire matter over to your automobile liability insurance carrier for defense.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics