Can my husbands taxes be garnished?

Saint Paul, MN |

I am unemployed and I owe 2500 dollars to a school and it was sent to collections due to fail of payment. If I do not pay them, or start a payment plan before the tax season can they take my husbands taxes? Also I had a job in early 2012 so if I file separately would they just go after my tax money and not his?

There are several things you can do. First, you may be able to defer your student loans. Second, if you cannot do that there is a chance that you may discharge your student loans through bankruptcy. Third, it may be a good idea for your husband to file "innocent spouse." This may include you two filing separately. It's an excellent idea for you to talk to someone who is both a tax attorney and a Certified Public Accountant. You're in luck, I am that. I am also in Eagan, Minnesota, a suburb of St. Paul. Feel free to call me at 651-434-7590 or email me at halazlaw@gmail.com.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Student loans, especially federally insured loans, can intercept tax refunds and might do so without warning if you & your spouse file a joint tax return.

Hope this perspective helps!

3. Safety: File separately and push exemptions to his return.

Wisdom: consult a bankruptcy attorney.