Can my husbands ex-wife have my $350 a month disability check garnished for child support?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Chula Vista, CA

I recently married a man who has two children with his ex wife. She learned that I receive disability payments every month and is somehow under the impression that her child support amount will go up to $1100 a month. My husband has had a slow year, we only bring in close to $1700 a month. What are the chances a judge will grant her access to this money?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Charles Schwerin

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . zero chance. She cannot get to your money.

    Michael Schwerin, San Jose, California phone: 408-295-4232 email: Consultation fees,... more
  2. Robert C. Alston

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . This question should be asked in the family law section.

    Actual legal advice can only be provided by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,090 answers this week

2,906 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,090 answers this week

2,906 attorneys answering