Can my husband take half of a accident settlement if he's not even living in the house and hasn't paid a bill in 3 years ?

I pay all the bills even the ones he ran up on his girlfriend How fair is that????

Pompano Beach, FL -

David John Glatthorn

David John Glatthorn

Personal Injury Lawyer - West Palm Beach, FL

The spouse of an injured person in florida has his or her own claim for loss of support,services and consortium. The spouse has no claim for any part of the injured person's recovery unless the spouse paid medical bils,etc. Check with a marital lawyer for confirmation.

Hernando Victor Pineres

Hernando Victor Pineres

Personal Injury Lawyer - Coral Gables, FL

This is definitely a question for a family lawyer. A personal injury is limited to getting the settlement/recovery.

I wish you the best.

Jesus Novo III

Jesus Novo III

Personal Injury Lawyer - Miami, FL

You should discuss this at length with your lawyer.

David Ian Schoen

David Ian Schoen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Windsor, VT

If he was not the injured party, his recovery should be limited, if at all. Your attorney may have to make an application to the court to determine the allocation of the proceeds.

Angelo Marino Jr.

Angelo Marino Jr.

Personal Injury Lawyer - Fort Lauderdale, FL

If you were the one injured, it is verly unlikely your husband will even get 5% of the settlement. However, if he was the one in the accident, then the situation is different.