Can my husband sell my car without my permission if it is titled only in my name?

Asked over 2 years ago - Adams, WI

It was titled in my maiden name before we married and shows married name after getting a replacement title.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. John B. Stutt

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . The previous owner of the vehicle is required to sign the title.
    If your husband is your power of attorney (POA) for financial matters he would probably
    legally have the power to sign your name. The State DOT may or may not accept
    a POA signing the title, depending on the language of the POA.

    Whether the car is marital property is a separate question that would require a more detailed explanation.

    This information is designed to provide a general overview with regard to the subject matter covered and is not... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,972 answers this week

2,859 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,972 answers this week

2,859 attorneys answering