Can my husband qualify for a green card if we got married by church?

Asked 7 months ago - Fresno, CA

We got married 1 year ago legally by a Catholic Church.

1. Gunda Johanna Brost

Pro

Answered . You can bring evidence of the church record and register your marriage to obtain a state-issued legal marriage certificate, usually from the local Courthouse. This legal marriage certificate is what you will need to show to apply to petition for your husband.

2. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Answered . The USCIS will require a legal and lawfully acceptable state proof of such marriage, therefore I think a State Marriage License or a Marriage Certificate will be necessary to obtain.

3. Sarah M. Cross

Answered . You must have a legally filed marriage certificate to prove marriage. So if you were issued a marriage licence and than got your marriage certificate after the marriage you are good to go.