Can my husband legally cancel my car insurance before we are divorced?

Phoenix, AZ |
Filed under: Divorce

I moved out, and would like to know if my husband can legally cancel my car insurance before we are divorced, as he has done so. And what, if anything, can I do about it?

The car is in my name, he just removed me from the insurance policy, to better clarify.

1. Take a look at the local Rules of Court in your jurisdiction. Frequently, the local rules have a provision which prevents a divorce and party from terminating insurance policies during a divorce. The reason for this is one of unfair surprise. If one party can cut off insurance for the other without knowledge, they can cause considerable financial damage to the other. Courts generally do not permit this. Consult your local legal Counsel. Good Luck.

The answers to questions provided in response to the request for assistance are general in nature, and reflect information which is primarily based upon general legal principals, and may additionally reflect Ohio principles of legal practice, as this is the primary location of this Attorney's practice. As with any legal advice, the advise is general in character, and should not be put into practice without specifically consulting your local counsel, who will possess far more insight into the applicable standards and laws of your specific State, your case's specific issues and the local Rules of Court and practices of the specific jurisdiction your legal action is governed by. You are specifically instructed : Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local Attorney. This Office does not provide free legal advice by telephone. A 15 Minute Consultation can be obtained at no cost for certain types of legal cases, but to obtain same, an Office appointment is required. Provision of the answers to general questions does not constitute an act of representation, and the Attorney shall not be deemed to accept employment based upon the responses contained herein. The reader is advised that they utilize the general suggestions contained in the responses at their own risk, and under no circumstances should they disregard the advise of their present local legal counsel based upon any suggestions or opinions contained herein. Also, the bast method to discuss a case with an attorney is to do so directly, by scheduling a formal consultation in their office, bringing with you at the time of the meeting all of your relevant paperwork, including any contratcs, any Orders from Court, decrees, complaints, pleadings, etc., and any other relevant information for the attorney to review. General information via the internet is no substitute for an actual meeting with an attorney. The advice provided on line in response to the limited information is provided without charge. It is also provided without the benefit of face to face discussions, so before you act--consult an attorney in person.

2. If the Petition for Dissolution has been served your husband cannot terminate the insurance. To do so violates the preliminary injunction in your case. You should file a motion with the court to have him held in contempt and ordered to reinstate the insurance.

Information provided on this site does not constitute legal advice. Answers posted here are based on a very limited amount of information and are given without a conventional consultation. Information posted here should be valued accordingly. We offer free initial consultations that require completion of a questionnaire detailing your situation and a personal one-on-one attorney interview to provide qualified legal advice. The answers posted here might be completely different with more information.

3. First thing you want to do is make sure your car is insured. Driving a car without insurance can cause you many problems. Then make sure that you bring your ex's actions to the court.