Can my husband legally cancel my car insurance before we are divorced?

Asked about 2 years ago - Phoenix, AZ

I moved out, and would like to know if my husband can legally cancel my car insurance before we are divorced, as he has done so. And what, if anything, can I do about it?

The car is in my name, he just removed me from the insurance policy, to better clarify.

1. Patrick S Sampair

Pro

2

1

Answered . If the Petition for Dissolution has been served your husband cannot terminate the insurance. To do so violates the preliminary injunction in your case. You should file a motion with the court to have him held in contempt and ordered to reinstate the insurance.

2. Steven W Zachary

Answered . First thing you want to do is make sure your car is insured. Driving a car without insurance can cause you many problems. Then make sure that you bring your ex's actions to the court.

3. Curt Perri Bogen

Pro

1

Answered . Take a look at the local Rules of Court in your jurisdiction. Frequently, the local rules have a provision which prevents a divorce and party from terminating insurance policies during a divorce. The reason for this is one of unfair surprise. If one party can cut off insurance for the other without knowledge, they can cause considerable financial damage to the other. Courts generally do not permit this. Consult your local legal Counsel. Good Luck.