Can my husband get residency if he has domestic violence on his record from a previous relationship?

Phoenix, AZ |
Filed under: Domestic violence

My husband entered the US legally when he was 16 yrs old. He has domestic violence charges on his record of a previous relationship when he was 19 yrs old. We have been together for 8 years & have 3 kids together. The kids & I are US Citizen. We bearly got legally married last month & now we want to fix his criminal record (since he never went to court after he paid his fine & now has a warrant) & also his legal status. Will he be able to get residency with his kind of record?

I am sorry that you are going through this. Your question raises many good issues. the main issue for your husband is whether he has any type of bar against his status and whether or not the crime he committed rises to the level of moral turpitudue such that it would affect his ability to adjust that status through marriage, please work with a local IMM attny, there are so many great ones in AZ. take care and best of luck.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Your husband needs to hire a lawyer who can help him quash the warrant and defend him in the case he never went to court for. He must try to resolve that case with a non domestic violence designation in order to have a chance at obtaining a visa.

I would be happy to provide a free consultation on this.

NONE OF THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HERE IS MEANT AS, NOR INTENDED AS LEGAL ADVICE. THE LAW IS CONSTANTLY CHANGING AND INFORMATION DISCUSSED IN THIS BLOG CAN BECOME OUT-DATED WITH THE PASSAGE OF TIME. IF YOU HAVE A LEGAL ISSUE AND NEED LEGAL ADVICE, CALL 623-936-1901 FOR A CONFIDENTIAL LEGAL CONSULTATION WITH AN ATTORNEY.

I would recommend that you repost your question directed to the Practice Area of Immigration. That will increase the likelihood of responses from attorneys with experience in this specialized field. Good luck.