Can my husband get residency if he has domestic violence on his record from a previous relationship?

Asked over 1 year ago - Phoenix, AZ

My husband entered the US legally when he was 16 yrs old. He has domestic violence charges on his record of a previous relationship when he was 19 yrs old. We have been together for 8 years & have 3 kids together. The kids & I are US Citizen. We bearly got legally married last month & now we want to fix his criminal record (since he never went to court after he paid his fine & now has a warrant) & also his legal status. Will he be able to get residency with his kind of record?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

4

11

Answered . I am sorry that you are going through this. Your question raises many good issues. the main issue for your husband is whether he has any type of bar against his status and whether or not the crime he committed rises to the level of moral turpitudue such that it would affect his ability to adjust that status through marriage, please work with a local IMM attny, there are so many great ones in AZ. take care and best of luck.

2. Paul E Knost

2

1

Answered . Your husband needs to hire a lawyer who can help him quash the warrant and defend him in the case he never went to court for. He must try to resolve that case with a non domestic violence designation in order to have a chance at obtaining a visa.

I would be happy to provide a free consultation on this.

3. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . I would recommend that you repost your question directed to the Practice Area of Immigration. That will increase the likelihood of responses from attorneys with experience in this specialized field. Good luck.