Skip to main content

Can my husband get a green card if he has something in his record?

Austin, TX |

He hit me and i called the police and i didnt want to press charges on him and i dont know if he does but he is taking 21 anger management clases. I am a us vitizen can i petition for him to get a green card

Attorney Answers 6

  1. You can. You should hire an attorney to review his record before you proceed with your case.

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.

  2. Most likely if case is dismissed
    I would talk to a lawyer before filing anything For more info, see

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at

  3. It may still be possible but your case should be reviewed by an immigration attorney before proceeding. My firm handles these types of cases.
    Nick Misiti
    Misiti Global
    212 537 4407

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. You need to consult with an immigration lawyer, who will advise you after reviewing the specifics of your husband's history. You will need to bring all police records and court dispositions. The immigration attorney will also need to have a detailed immigration history for your husband.

    Colorado 303.442.8554/New Mexico 505.819.3303/ Ms DeSeguin’s statement is general in nature, is not intended as legal advice, and should not be relied on as Ms DeSeguin does not have knowledge of all the relevant and necessary facts. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  5. You can, but this sounds like domestic violence, and he could be placed in removal proceedings when you file for him. Most likely you will need to fight a waiver for this with the USCIS. You should immediately hire an immigration attorney to file these things for you.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics