Skip to main content

Can my husband force me to work even if he promised I could be a stay at home mom?

Weston, MA |

I helped my husband through college and then we decide he would work, while I was at home with our 2 year old, now he wants me to work?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    I am sorry that you are going through this difficult time. He cannot force you to do anything you don't want to do, you are married you are not his property. However, he can suggest that you bring some money into the marital estate and if you refuse then you have situation that requires someone to make a decision or collaborate. The only person that can force you to do anything is the judge and he/she can attribute income to you but that does not mean you have to work if you are the primary caretaker of the child and have full custody. Hope that helps.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

  2. Nobody is a slave. But if your family needs money, do you have an option? If you filed for divorce, could be that you are entitled to support for helping him with school. Sounds to me like you two need to sit down and work all this out, not file for divorce - a counselor or mediator can help in this situation.

    But the short answer to you short question is no, nobody can make you do anything.

    This is general legal information, not intended to apply to your specific case. And I may not be licensed to practice in your particular state. Under Federal Law, I am a debt relief agent.

  3. Legally your husband can't force you to do anything. Obviously if you're having a difficult time financially he may suggest that you work to help alleviate some of the burden but no, he can't make you get a job. Financial trouble can put a great deal of strain on a marriage so perhaps you and your husband should sit down and take a look at your situation and what could be done to improve it. This doesn't seem like the type of problem you need to see a lawyer about at this point, see if you two can work it out on your own. Good luck to you and your husband.

  4. No one in a marriage can force another to work outside the home. If there is a divorce the issue of you working will come into play t some point but it doesn't sound like you are at that point currently. Financial troubles seem to break more marriages apart than infidelity. You should discuss his reasons why he thinks you should reenter the work force and see if a compromise of reducing expenses, some sort of income, or continuing with the current plan is best. You are his partner and not his subordinate.

    This information provided is in the nature of general information and in no way creates an attorney client relationship with anyone including the individual who posted the question.

  5. Personally, you two have a problem when you interpret request for contribution as force.

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

  6. Frankly, I think the two of you would benefit from a marriage counselor -- it sounds like there are a number of issues concerning money and control which need to be aired out with the guidance of a professional. A therapist is usually a lot less expensive than a divorce lawyer.

    E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics