Can my husband force me to sell our family home that I currently live in with our two children?

Upper Marlboro, MD |
Filed under: Divorce

My husband and I have been seperated for almost a year. I have been a stay at home mom (with 2 kids) for 5 years. When he left all of our bills were behind. I now work and have made payment arrangements with all our creditors can he still force me to sell the house? Would I still be eligible for spousal support? How much does a typical divorce cost in MD? and are there any programs for people who are financially strapped?

1. You can petition the court to remain in the family home with the children which will stop him from selling the home -- bear in mind, this is not indefinite. Nonetheless, you may still be eligible for spousal support and you are entitled to child support. The cost of divorce in Maryland varies depending on the actions of the parties involved. You may contact the circuit court clerk's office in Upper Marlboro for information on pro bono programs. If you qualify, you may be able to get free or reduced-fee legal assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you are unable to get the information or if I can be of assistance.