Can my husband divorce me by publication

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

can my husband divorce me by publication? if one day I discover it can I claim against it? he knows where I live but I think he wants not to pay any money to me and claiming he doesnt know where I live.

1. Fran Brochstein

Answered . If you live in Harris County, the good news is that the Judge will appoint an attorney to try to locate you. If you have a TX Driver's license with your current address then the attorney will be able to find you and notify you of the divorce. And, the spouse has to pay for this attorney since it is court ordered. They usually cost at least $750 or more - depends on how much work they have to do to locate the missing spouse.

In the past, many people were "claiming" that they did not know where their spouses were so Judges "wised up" and began to appoint attorney ad litems & "surprise" most "missing" spouses were located. I was appointed by one Associate Judge many times & I had a 90% success rate.

I hope this makes you feel better.

I will suggest that if you are not together & don't intend to be together, why not just divorce? I assume that you understand that since you are still married that you are still liable for anything that he does since you are married to him? Therefore, technically, if he hits a busload of kids and kills them - YOU will be included in the lawsuit as his spouse. If he does anything "naughty", he could force you to hire an attorney to defend yourself and cost you money. You might want to consult with an attorney about your rights.

2. Eric B. Dick

Pro

Answered . There might be an issue of alternative service if he files for divorce and has a process server try to serve you.