Can my husband divorce me by publication

Houston, TX |

can my husband divorce me by publication? if one day I discover it can I claim against it? he knows where I live but I think he wants not to pay any money to me and claiming he doesnt know where I live.

1. If you live in Harris County, the good news is that the Judge will appoint an attorney to try to locate you. If you have a TX Driver's license with your current address then the attorney will be able to find you and notify you of the divorce. And, the spouse has to pay for this attorney since it is court ordered. They usually cost at least $750 or more - depends on how much work they have to do to locate the missing spouse.

In the past, many people were "claiming" that they did not know where their spouses were so Judges "wised up" and began to appoint attorney ad litems & "surprise" most "missing" spouses were located. I was appointed by one Associate Judge many times & I had a 90% success rate.

I hope this makes you feel better.

I will suggest that if you are not together & don't intend to be together, why not just divorce? I assume that you understand that since you are still married that you are still liable for anything that he does since you are married to him? Therefore, technically, if he hits a busload of kids and kills them - YOU will be included in the lawsuit as his spouse. If he does anything "naughty", he could force you to hire an attorney to defend yourself and cost you money. You might want to consult with an attorney about your rights.

Attorney Brochstein is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. If you found this answer "helpful" or "best answer", please select the button to show your appreciation. Please understand that this is not a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to consult with an attorney in your county in person about your specific problem.

2. There might be an issue of alternative service if he files for divorce and has a process server try to serve you.

Eric Dick, LL.M.; Office: 832-207-2007; Cell: 713-498-7969; Email: eric@dicklawfirm.com; website: www.dicklawfirm.com LEGAL DISCLAIMER: Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and his office located in Harris County. Mr. Dick primarily practices insurance law in Texas and offers free consultations. Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.