Skip to main content

Can my husband be compelled to support me? I am a victim of domestic violence and my husband has cut me off financially.

Jersey City, NJ |

My husband attacked me on the night of Feb 18th. I went to the police station the next morning and they took photos of my injuries and filed a complaint against him and he was arrested. He was bailed obtained a lawyer and who advised him to put a counter charge against me 2 days later. I did not have representation in this matter we went to a pretrial and charges were dropped before a trial and a no contact order was issued for both parties. Is there any financial relief that I am entitled to for this situation to help me with getting back on my feet as I am unemployed for 2 years and was promised support while we were in the process of moving into a new home. He has taken all of the money from our joint bank and cut off utilities and is selling the property I am living in.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


For a reliable answer you must schedule a consultation with an experienced family law attorney who can take the time to review with you all the relevant facts and circumstances.

In general, if you have been a dependent spouse you can expect to receive some level of support from your husband, during the pendency of your divorce matter in addition to as part of a final resolution of the matter. Similarly, you can expect to receive a portion of the assets amassed during the marriage, i.e. money that was in the bank.

To get started, you should meet with an experienced attorney in your area as soon as possible.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.


Based on what you have said, it certainly sounds as though you may be entitled to some financial relief.

It is unfortunate that you were not represented by a lawyer in the case arising from your husband's attack. I strongly recommend that you find a way to retain a very experienced Divorce Attorney. There may be a lot at stake.

DISCLAIMER The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


Speak to a matrimonial attorney. Next time file a DV TRO as well as an assault charge. The Judge can give you financial relief on a FRO. Why did you drop the case?


You need a divorce attorney right away. If you cannot afford one, contact legal services, there on summit ave just 1 block away from the courthouse where this case is pending.
You can also go to the courthouse, second floor, the people there are very nice and will assist you filling out the pro se paperwork (even thou they should not) for temporary relief. The judge will even call your husband to appear in person or do it by phone. Don't delay.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer