Can my husband be compelled to support me? I am a victim of domestic violence and my husband has cut me off financially.

Asked over 1 year ago - Jersey City, NJ

My husband attacked me on the night of Feb 18th. I went to the police station the next morning and they took photos of my injuries and filed a complaint against him and he was arrested. He was bailed obtained a lawyer and who advised him to put a counter charge against me 2 days later. I did not have representation in this matter we went to a pretrial and charges were dropped before a trial and a no contact order was issued for both parties. Is there any financial relief that I am entitled to for this situation to help me with getting back on my feet as I am unemployed for 2 years and was promised support while we were in the process of moving into a new home. He has taken all of the money from our joint bank and cut off utilities and is selling the property I am living in.

1. Kenneth A White

Pro

2

Answered . For a reliable answer you must schedule a consultation with an experienced family law attorney who can take the time to review with you all the relevant facts and circumstances.

In general, if you have been a dependent spouse you can expect to receive some level of support from your husband, during the pendency of your divorce matter in addition to as part of a final resolution of the matter. Similarly, you can expect to receive a portion of the assets amassed during the marriage, i.e. money that was in the bank.

To get started, you should meet with an experienced attorney in your area as soon as possible.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.

2. David F Salvaggio

2

Answered . Based on what you have said, it certainly sounds as though you may be entitled to some financial relief.

It is unfortunate that you were not represented by a lawyer in the case arising from your husband's attack. I strongly recommend that you find a way to retain a very experienced Divorce Attorney. There may be a lot at stake.

3. Mark M Cheser

2

Answered . Speak to a matrimonial attorney. Next time file a DV TRO as well as an assault charge. The Judge can give you financial relief on a FRO. Why did you drop the case?

4. Steven P Haddad

1

Answered . You need a divorce attorney right away. If you cannot afford one, contact legal services, there on summit ave just 1 block away from the courthouse where this case is pending.
    You can also go to the courthouse, second floor, the people there are very nice and will assist you filling out the pro se paperwork (even thou they should not) for temporary relief. The judge will even call your husband to appear in person or do it by phone. Don't delay.