Can my husband adopt my daughter without the biological fathers consent?

Asked about 1 year ago - Jamestown, NY

My daughters biological father is not on her birth certificate but paternity has been established and the biological father does have joint custody. Can my husband legally still adopt her without her real fathers consent.

1. Latrice Vinell Campbell

3

Answered . No. You will definitely need his consent in order to terminate his parental rights.

2. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

3

Answered . There is no way to cut off a man's DNA and use a court to enter an order making another man a daddy.

Having a child is not a game of "pretend" and a court cannot make a game of "pretend" a reality. You cannot force a child away from the biological father without his consent and you cannot fabricate a case to prove his unfitness. This is because you cannot decouple a child from the biological father.

If you try, that will backfire with the father and the child when the child grows up.

3. James Joseph Bagley

4

1

Answered . No. He will need the biological father to consent to terminating his parental rights. Since the biological father has joint custody it isn't likely he wants to give up his rights to see and be with his children. You may be able to work out something where the biological father is guaranteed visitation so long as it stays in the best interests of the child. Consult with a family lawyer in your area for more specifics about the process.

4. Marco Caviglia

Pro

2

Answered . No, unless extraordinary circumstances compelled a court to sever his parental ties and rights.