Can my husband adopt my daughter if the father is not on the birth certificate and I do not know who her real father is?

Central Square, NY |
Filed under: Adoption

My daughter is almost 4. When I got pregnant with her I didn't know who her father was so I put no father on the birth certificate. No one has filed any kind of papers for paternity, there has been no contact from anyone stating they are her biological father. My husband has been in her life since she was 1.

Contact a local adoption lawyer to help you in the process. If there is no known father, then court approval should be simple.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

If the identity of the father is unknown, the adoption should not be impeded by that.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

First, don't try to do an adoption on your own -- they are intricate and a wrong move can cause a lot of problems. Second, I would contact an experienced NY adoption attorney because there are a lot of questions they will have that aren't answered by your AVVO inquiry. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you and your family.

I am a lawyer, but I am not your lawyer (unless you have been in my office and signed a contract). This communication is not intended as legal advice, and no attorney client relationship results. Please consult your own attorney for legal advice.

Adoption topics

Recommended articles about Adoption